Adalberto Pallavicino built the fortress during the XI century and seems that its main tower 30 meters high was built in 1030.
The feud belonging to Pallavicino was conquered by Aldighieri family from Parma in 1315 to control some saltworks of the area.
Aldighieri from Parma were then called from Contignaco and owned the castle until 1537. The castle changed ownership and was rebuilt many times during the following years.
It’s surrounded by splendid oak trees, cedar trees, bay trees and cypresses and in particular there’s a huge secular oak in front of the entry measuring almost 2 meters in diameter.
Today the castle is home to a winery.
The castle is open to the public.
Interesting Fact – The Castle of Gallinella, another “Salt Castle” completly destroyed during the XIX century, stood nearby.
Stay updated on the news of Salsomaggiore and Tabiano Terme.